BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

B&B and "Down on the Farm"

We left about 6:30 or so and we headed east. I pretty much slept the whole way there. When I woke up and Jay said "We're here," I was staring straight ahead at an old garage door. I was like "Huh?" It was a brick house with the old garage doors that are wooden. I was still kinda asleep so I wasn't really sure what was going on. I finally realized that it was a Bed and Breafast place. As far as I know I have only stayed once in a B&B. It was back a few years ago when Dad took the whole family to a working farm with a B&B in the farmhouse. It was pretty neat. In fact, Jay and I checked into B&B's near the Grand Canyon but there weren't any there that we really were interested in.


Ron and Darlene own the State Street Manor Bed and Breakfast in Gallipolis, OH (http://www.statestreetmanor.com/) . I knew it was going to be a delightful stay when we were walking up the short sidewalk and Ron opened the door and greeted us before we even got to the front steps. You don't get that at a hotel! Darlene was just inside standing near a grand piano where I signed the guest book and we began the tour. Built in 1936-1937, it is still very authentic down to the glass door handles. Hardwood floors, a 9 foot Christmas tree, fireplaces and the garland hanging on the stair railing made for a beautiful, relaxing evening. Two big cozy green robes waited in our room for us to don before heading towards the hot tub. They even threw some towels in the dryer so they would be warm for us after we exited their hot tub! I read several entries in a guest book in our room. In particular, other guests related that Darlene's family recipe Banana bread was delicious. So come breakfast time I was expecting it. I must say, it was some of the best banana bread ever! Then came the Blueberry stuffed French toast, a treat that neither Jay nor myself had ever enjoyed.


All that to say this, if you ever want to get away for a night or two, the drive out is only about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Cincinnati. Ron and Darlene are wonderful hosts and they make you feel right at home.

The cozy living room.

Christmas decorations on the stairs.

Hot tub on the deck

Told ya...glass door knobs.

Beautiful place setting with gold eating utensils and Blueberry stuffed French toast.


Then after we checked out from the State Stree Manor, my hubby took me to the Bob Evans Farm. We toured the Homestead and the Museum. They were also displaying some quilts. There were several nice quilts and I took a few pictures for you to enjoy.










Once back near Cincinnati, Jay stopped one last place. The Victorian Quilt Shop!! I loved it. I met several other ladies who quilt also. Although very few actually do the quilting by hand, I did find one lady who still hand quilts. She gave me some tips on the type of quilting thread she uses and some needles she has found to be the best. I would love to learn more from those ladies so I will probably go back there.

All this fun stuff and it was Jay's idea. What a sweet guy! He had told me before we left that the weekend was going to be 90% for me and 10% for him. He did a great job picking out stuff for us to do that he knew I would enjoy! Anybody jealous? Wink!

4 comments:

LJL said...

A man after my own heart. How neat!

Anonymous said...

That's kind of funny that Jay chose Gallipolis, OH! When I saw that, I had to laugh...that's where I'm from, and I've never heard of anyone actually wanting to go there! Too funny. I'll have to check out this B&B the next time I'm down there visiting friends.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and thoughtful hubby you have. That's true love: 90% for you and only 10% for himself?!! Pure selflessness and I'm NOT joking.

Nancy said...

Enjoy! I married a great guy too that used to surprise me quite often with trips to different B and B's. Someday we'll resume that since now he has to figure in a sitter overnight for the kids...that's hard to come by. (He still manages a surprise from time to time)
Travel all you can...we did and have Sooo many great memories. Now we're having the fun of raising a family together. I highly recommend that too!
I enjoy your blog. Your sweater from your bosses Christmas party is VERY pretty. I love it!