BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Quilt Basting

Well, today I basted together the small lap quilt that I have been working on. This is the first time that I have used a basting gun. I bought a cheap one at Walmart. I was trying to remember why I had never used one before. I think I remember Senora telling us that they could ruin our quilts if we weren't careful. I thought I would try it out on this smaller quilt. I put the staples in the seams instead of in the middle of a block hoping any holes from the staples would work themselves out in the middle of the seam. We will see I guess.
Then I cut out a few blocks for another quilt that I have in mind. I had some yellow material and some blue left over from other quilts so I cut some triangles out for my next quilt. Right now I am just trying to get some quilt tops done and put together so I can take them with me on vacation. We are going to Myrtle Beach again this year and since I am not necessarily flush with cash this summer, I am taking projects with me that won't cost me any money. Should be fun quilting while watching the waves come in.
I surprised Jay with some ribs for supper along with corn, mashed potatoes, macaroni salad and bread, butter and jam. I think he liked it. I could tell by the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ all over his mouth. Wink!
On a more serious note, today I was returning from Subway (my boss was hungry) and I was blocked from entering the jail by one of the sergeants. Apparently a lady from a few blocks away, had been stabbed in the neck and had come to our lobby looking for help. It wasn't a terribly deep cut but it was bleeding pretty good and there was a big splotch of blood on our lobby floor. Of course when we called 911 they had to send a squad and a fire truck. Not sure why they do that. I think they must get bored or something.
The more I thought about it, the more I felt sorry for the lady. Working in the jail, I think I have lost a lot of sympathy for people because they are the ones that for the most part have put themselves in bad situations. But I felt bad that the lady had to come several blocks to us, most likely because she didn't feel should could trust anyone else. So I prayed that God would help me be more sympathetic to people, whether they caused their own problems or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, sobering thoughts.

lyndie said...

"flush with cash" - the phrase makes me grin~ i may need to borrow it in the near future when we empty out our savings account to get this adoption process started!
BTW- thanks for the reference letter offer. if you have time, i'm sure we could use it. we have the 3 required, but it never hurts for them to hear from another person who's "on our side". :)
your new quilt is simply lovely. keep at it!
hope you have a refreshing vacation!