BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 28, 2007

Chi-Town


Jay planned an awesome trip to Chi-town a.k.a. Chicago for this weekend. We had a blast and quite a few laughs along the way as well. We stayed in the beautiful Embassy Suites in Lombard, Chicago, Illinois. Little did we know that our hotel was in one of the more expensive areas of Chicago. We were attempting to find a place to buy food for Sunday since neither Jay or I feel comfortable buying things on the Sabbath.

So on our trip out from the city to our hotel in suburbia I was quickly scanning the skyline for any signs of fast food or Walmart or anything. We had just passed an exit ramp when I shouted out KFC!!! which of course would be perfect for our Sunday dinner the next day. Frustrated that we had missed the exit, we slowly (due to traffic) made it to the next exit. We dug around and Jay found a coupon for KFC and I was thinking what it was that I would like to order for my meal. We got back on the highway headed back towards the KFC. Traffic was pretty bunched up but we made it back to the exit. We were about to pull into the KFC parking lot, when tragedy struck. The KFC was closed! Of course, at this time of the afternoon I was very slap happy and started howling and laughing. Jay did not find it as funny as I did apparently, but he did grin a little bit.

When we did finally arrive at our hotel, Jay ran in, got the room key and asked for directions to the nearest fast food restaurant. Saying "not a problem" to their newest guest, they handed him a small booklet full of restaurants in the area. Obviously they failed to hear the "fast food" part because the booklet was full of restaurants like Red Lobster, TGI Fridays, J. Alexander's, the Capital Grille etc. He made it a little clearer and they finally gave him directions to the nearest grocery store. Of course once we found the grocery store, a McDonalds was right nearby as well as a Boston Market. Sigh, at long last we got our Sunday dinner.

Saturday we spent mostly trying to figure out the Chicago Transity Authority routes. We rode several trains, a couple buses. After a small detour through a large park we found our way back to the bus route, and decided to ride the bus to the Museum of Science and Industry where I found several intriguing things to look at and experience. Once we made it back downtown, we hit the Rainforest Cafe. (Incidentally it was right beside the Hard Rock Cafe that I believe, correct me if I am wrong, Lyn, we ate at my senior year on our senior trip.) Jay and I went to Rainforest Cafe in Niagara Falls a year ago November so it was nice to visit again. Jay dragged me up 9 escalators at Marshall Field and Co. to show we the ridiculously priced furniture. It was definitely a nice store, but I wasn't that impressed that their furniture was on the 9th floor. Then much to our chagrin, it started raining and so we decided to ride the train back out to where we had parked our car. Thankfully, no bandits had broken, stolen or otherwise damaged our vehicle or the contents thereof. Thus ensued the previous story about the KFC.

Sunday morning we made our way to Willow Creek Community Church (approx. 10,000 members strong) where we attended their morning service. Very much different than what I am used to, but an eye opening experience. I did not appreciate their lack of reverence in the actual service, but their tribute to the soldiers of the United States was well done. Jay was very excited to visit this church and he took several pictures.

The rest of Sunday was spent doing just that, resting (and quilting). By Monday morning I was ready to roll. Embassy Suites fed us our breakfast at no extra cost. And it wasn't one of those cold cereal and a bagel type breakfasts. You walk up to the counter, pick up a bowl, decided what toppings you want, hand it to the cook and they make your omelette right in front of you. Then you turn around and help yourself to muffins, sausage, bacon, hash browns, more eggs, every kind of juice you can think of and of course for all the other folks in the world cold cereal and bagels. I was impressed with the free breakfast.

We headed back downtown (minus the train) where we managed to find FREE parking downtown. Amazing find as most parking garages were $17 or more to park for a couple hours. We walked around the amazing Millenium Park which I don't believe was there on my senior trip. Took several pictures of The Cloud Gate a.k.a. the Bean. An amazing feat of contemporary art if you've never seen it. We then made our way to the popular Navy Pier. Where I experienced a whirl wind tour of Chicago via the Seadog Speedboat. Interesting way to view the Chicago skyline as well as get some speed on the water with the 2000 horsepower engines.

I got a glimpse at Buckingham Fountain from the car. You will also see a picture of thousands of boots. This is a moving memorial to the US soldiers and civilians who have died in Iraq. The boots represent the soldiers who used to wear them. I noticed several people crying and wiping away tears. Then we drove down Michigan (the magnificent mile) and I relived memories of my senior trip 7 years ago where we walked down the same sidewalks and window shopped.

On the way home, Jay surprised me with a dinner at Olive Garden, or at least it started out that way. He had called my cousin and her husband and asked them to meet us at Olive Garden. However, the entire time I believed we were eating at Don Pablos so when we went wizzing by it I knew something was up. We walked into Olive Garden and there sat my cousin and her husband. What a nice surprise! I had even taken a picture of the Olive Garden sign thinking we were going to eat here. Once we met up with them, we ventured back to Don Pablos where I took a pic of the restaurant again, but this time we actually ate there.

Sigh! An awesome, tiring but enjoyable weekend spent with my honey. What could be better? Hmmm......Maybe I shouldn't have posted that question. I know my dad will probably have something to say.

Waiting for my first train ride.




Jay playing around with the musical lights. If you cast your shadow through the light it will play a note. He had fun running up and down the "keyboard." (Museum of Science and Industry)

One cool place to eat!

Sanctuary at Willow Creek Community Church.


The beautiful garden inside the Embassy Suites Hotel.


I took this picture from the glass elevator. It was a beautiful place to stay.
The outdoor theatre at Millenium Park.



The Cloud Gate a.k.a. the Bean at Millenium Park.


The Buckingham Fountain from across the Bicentennial Park.

Skyline from the Seadog Speedboat tour. A picture can't really capture the architectural beauty.
Jay standing in one of the gardens on Navy Pier. He liked the arches of water over his head.


The thousands of pairs of boots in the moving memorial.



Since Jay and I are now making our millions, we have decided to move downtown Chicago. Yikes!



My cousin Janella and her husband Jonathan at Don Pablos.


Okay....so I was tired after the long weekend. Jay decided to snap yet another sleeping picture.

6 comments:

Lavy Country said...

Sounds like fun. I've never visited Chicago. Nice pics. What are the room rates like?

Regi said...

Rates of course totally depend on where you stay. Downtown is very expensive. We stayed about 20 minutes out from downtown (non-rush hour minutes) and it was $100 a night at Embassy Suites for a King sized suite.

Nancy said...

What a lovely weekend. So glad you could get away for a while. Chris and I used to do quite a bit of that as well before we had kids :) That museum of Science and Industry is really neat. I went there quite a few years ago...we need to go back and take the kids. Maybe when you guys buy that penthouse suite downtown, we could come "visit" and save the cost of a motel....lol Oh, and then you could also teach me how to quilt! :)

Anonymous said...

What?! I have no comment to add. Why would I say anything? You must be thinking of someone else!

Anonymous said...

So, how did you get a picture of Johathan and Janella at Don Pablos when you ate at Olive Garden? Just wanted you to know I was here!
A

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I want to stay at that hotel. It's gorgeous!