BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thanks!


I haven't posted much lately so I thought I should check in. Lately I have been thinking about "thanks" and showing "thankfulness." You know those "testify" times they have at church? I am terrible about standing up in front of people and speaking. My face automatically turns bright red, even when I'm not embarrassed. I can't make it stop, it just happens. So when I know the Lord is telling me I am supposed to stand up and give him thanks publicly my heart literally starts working overtime.
I knew a few minutes after the service started that God wanted me to stand up and say a few words. Good thing we had prayer first cause I spent the whole prayer time (we all gather around the altar) asking God what I was supposed to say. I then told Him, in no uncertain terms, that if I was supposed to do this, that I was going to need some help getting my heart to stop pounding. By the time I stood up, I was calm. Isn't God awesome?
I told the folks at prayer meeting that sometimes I think God gets tired of us always asking and never thanking. I've been working at the jail for 2 1/2 years now and a few thousand inmates have learned my name over those couple years. I literally receive between 700-1,000 notes from inmates a month. I respond to every single note! (** I don't write back to someone who is disrespectful, trying to break the rules or has already been transferred from our facility**) Most of the inmates know my name and face so when I enter a dorm or cell, the place literally goes crazy and I will have 10 inmates headed my direction as soon as I head in the door. They know that I will try to find the answer to their questions and try to fix their problems. But it can be pretty overwhelming. I wonder what God thinks with millions of requests and only a few thanks here and there.
I can literally count on two hands the number of notes I have received back from inmates thanking me for finding the answer for them. We take, ask, question, plead, want, and beg God for things. Perhaps we should focus on just thanking Him for who He is and let the rest work itself out.

6 comments:

LJL said...

How interesting. I was talking to the Darke County Judge, John Hein, recently. I told him that you worked in a jail. He was impressed and stated that it would be a perfect place to try to influence people for the Lord, as I think he tries to do from where he sets when possible.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my wonderful wife Regina Joy Butternut Blonde Lavy Baker! Thank you God for giving her to me!

Belle said...

Wow, what a great thought!

Island Girl said...

Regi that is pretty I think I just learned something new about you. Anyway I love to read your blog. You are so funny! I have been thinking about you a lot recently. I hope all is well for you and Jason. I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Regi!!!

Brenda said...

Very well said.