BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Respect

Last weekend we hurried out west to attend Jay's grandmother's funeral. One thing that really bugged me (you can ask Jay!) was the apparent lack of respect for a funeral procession. Car after car after car passed us. I started noticing that people weren't even slowing down at all. We had to get on the interstate to reach the cemetery. There were approximately 15-16 cars in the procession so it really wasn't that long. The funeral director took the middle lane of the interstate and we all followed suit. However, there were cars darting in and out of our line, people flying past us on both sides. It was amazing! I did notice ONE semi truck pull over and let the procession pass (on a regular two lane road), but other than that, I didn't notice a single vehicle slow down or pull over. Truly a sad day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean. i've seen the same disrespect and it makes me almost sick. when i see a funeral procession, i fight tears as i watch them pass. i'm not sure i COULD continue driving, even if i were in a hurry.

Jonathan and Sommer said...

I know what you're talking about. A girl that I work with was in the procession for her father-in-laws funeral. She said that someone in the family got broadsided while going through an intersection for the funeral. Ended up going to the hopital instead of the funeral. Sommer

Regi said...

It was pretty sickening to watch people flying past us, but we couldn't really do much.

Anonymous said...

Regi - I just saw this post and had to comment, I have been outraged several times at the sight of this exact thing. I honestly have never noticed this until we moved here, I did not know it has become a problem elsewhere. I am not easily offended but this is horrible. It starts at home, if adults do not set the example it will continue to only get worse. Sorry for ranting but I have also got a problem with people honking like maniacs if you don't go the second the light turns, I suppose they want you to be broadsided just get out of their way. I am sorry for this but I have threatened here lately to absolutely put it in Reverse and ram them, wave and go on. This is just a vent for me but rude drivers need to grow up.
By the way, have a great week.

Regi said...

Yep, extremely annoying.