BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Day 7 - Testy Thursday

This morning I discovered why Hawaii has rainbows on their license plates. This morning we saw 2 full bows and 2 partial bows. It was amazing!!! You could clearly see purple, blue, yellow, orange, and red. So pretty!


Then we visited Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona. And here I arrive at the reason for the title of today's blog. Since we have been here, we have noticed a huge percentage of tourists as those from China and Japan. I have nothing against them touring our country. HOWEVER, when you visit a memorial in honor of American soldiers who fought for freedom against your country then "shut up!" We were standing in the memorial which is moored over top of the sunken ship, and we were surrounded by babbling loud foreign tourists with absolutely no respect for the patriotism of the soldiers who died there. It's funny because the U.S. Navy soldiers who run the memorial had cautioned everyone on the boat over to the memorial, that they should be quiet and respectful while at the memorial. What I figured out later, was that 50% of the people on the boat had no idea what he was saying because he was speaking in English (imagine that!). To me, if you're going to visit a memorial for another country besides your own, then be quiet and respect them! I came away with a different view of foreign travelers. Another question that arose in my mind, why in the world are they coming to an American memorial that would never have been necessary if their country hadn't attacked ours?? Ok, I am will now backtrack and say that I am not prejudiced against foreign travelers, but at least be respectful of those in whose country you are touring!
The 19,000 pound anchor from the USS Arizona which as actually discovered several hundred yards away from the actual ship after it was destroyed.


The USS Lincoln aircraft carrier which was moored right near the memorial.


I am not sure if you can see the oil in this picture or not. The Arizona still leaks oil to this day over 60 years later.
In case you are wondering, the headsets around our necks are connected to a small radio. It is the Audio Tour of the memorial. As you go throughout the museum and memorial, there are small numbers nearby and by punching in the numbers on your radio, a WWII survivor is narrating what happened back on that fateful day.

People were putting small flowers in the water as tributes to the American navy members who died. If you look closely you can see the ship under the water.

5 comments:

Janella Thompson said...

You look like you are having a great time. I am so happy that you have enjoyed yourself.
I would have been annoyed too at their lack of dissrespect. I love the diversity of our country...but their is a line.

LJL said...

Interesting.

Becky said...

I've been trying to follow your trip and this so far was awesome. Just to see the pictures of the memorial gave me goose bumps. Thanks for a time to remember.

~~anna~~ said...

Can't imagine what it would be like to see the actual location where so many lost their lives.

By now I'm asuming you are on your way home. But it sounds like you will be bringing many pleasant memories with you from your dream vacation!

Janiece said...

We would LOVE to go to Pearl Harbor and see the USS Arizona, maybe some day! My BIL said he was REALLY mad at the lack of respect that the foreign tourists gave while they were there too, GRRR!!! Maybe it's not such a good idea for me and my hubby to go there, I'm sure Jerry would have a "few words" to give to them if they acted like that while we were there, HA! Glad you all had a great time!